Re: [Chrysler300] 300 convertible top troubles

Re: [Chrysler300] 300 convertible top troubles

I posted quite a while back that I purchased a top motor and cylinders from
an 86 (I think) Sebring. The "recycling yard" pulled the motor, cylinders
and lines all intact so there wasn't even any leakage. Cost was $100.00
which was pretty reasonable considering one cylinder new is more than that.
It even came with the nylon bushings, pins and clips, which it is always
great to have extras of those.   I used the assembly  on a 300L  and later I
purchased a second assembly and used it  on a 70 Barracuda. The Sebring
lines were a little short for both cars so I re-used the original lines from
the respective cars. Everything interchanged nicely, except the resevoir on
the late model motor had a rubber plug in the fill hole instead of a
threaded plug , so I swapped out the resevoirs for the earlier ones.

I seem to recall that the Sebring cylinders were much shorter that the ones
on my 62 300, so I'm not sure you would get the travel required. The Sebring
cylinders were DEFINITELY different than those on a  300C, but the motor
looked identical for all years, even the electrical plug was the same I seem
to recall. The 300C had a much larger resevoir than the later years but it
appeared that the 300C resevoir could be retrofitted to the new motor
easily.

If my earlier post could be called up, I think I gave the cylinder
measurements for the 300L, 300H and the 300C. I'm not sure how to call up an
old post. I also learned that the length of the cylinders also has something
to do with the shape of the inner fender panels - an A-body and an E-body
cylinder are different, but they both function on either car in terms of
roof travel; the difference is that one will interfere with the wheelhouse
sheetmetal if installed on the wrong car.

In addition to oiling/greasing all the pivot points in the top mechanism,
the nylon inserts in the cylinder mounts need to be greased as well. The
cylinders actually "travel" as the top raises and lowers.

DISCLAIMER: My memory lately is all but useless it seems , so please double
check your application and don't rely solely on what I've said and already
forgotten !

Jeff Miklas