[Chrysler300] Faking 300s, other?!

Nowadays it seems a bigger thing to build a complete copy, or 'interpretation', of now valued models of collector cars, than maybe restore a real one.

I do not have Cable TV (in Australia Murdoch owns the only real one we have, and personaly I think he has done little re ever giving a penny back to any deserving anyone/charity, so I do not support him), but many friends do, and it amazes how many of them must tell me about their just watched latest Cable Car Shows, where an old 60s plain jane wreck is bought, haggled for, and then over a few weeks and many $$$$, is made into say a 'hemi something', 'big block Camino/Camaro', you name it, then sold at auction to supposed reasonable numbers of buyers, buyers who clearly know the car is a fake, a total fake, often uses totally wrong major drivetrain, never mind may have even been a base 6 cylinder model !!! And yet they may bid $$ near as high as a genuine.

Now for sure, they maybe get a car that may be better than new, may not have 'real genuine old collector car' sometimes mechanical reliabilty woes, nor finding genuine parts headaches, as in effect they buy a totally brand new 'copy/fake' - but there still is obviously a market for fakes - never mind maybe millions worldwide who watch and enjoy the shows/programs.

So my guess is the phenomenom is here for some time, plus it will maybe grow bigger?

Re the actual car, 300F, in question, two personal views. 1) if he wishes to create a dead copy, ie one using correct parts, then there are maybe worse crimes, and at least someone else can enjoy what a real one should have been a bit like?, but 2) the owner of the genuine car, 300F, must contact the builder/seller, by means of a proven, trackable, verified hard copy means, and point out he owns the genuine article, and that the 'faker', must desist advertising it as genuine, plus correct any misrepresentation to the market, any potential buyer.

An American website (Sports Car Market) has recently been covering a rare Ferrari, a real unusual near one off body type one, supposedly involved re a filed 'stolen car insurance claim' many years ago, yet later, over near decades, featured/pictured ongoingly in near world wide Ferrari (Club) Newsletters, at various US Car Shows/Meets as owned now by such and such, then later owners, to now, only to in the last few months, see the seemingly long knowing former owner now claim it is his car.

What all this story has to do with 'fakes', is the inference that owners of real cars should try to make it known when they have the real one - the Ferrari one I think is not yet resolved, but I think the relevant here last threads of it I saw were apparently that the former owner had not accepted the insurance payout, and there was some partnership/ownership issue when it lodged, and perhaps car never was stolen, plus why had he not acted to recover car earlier when it so well known where it was and who hasd purchased it?!

AC Cobras are the most faked cars ever, owners of real ones (me owning one for near 30 years) likely hate people thinking (mistakingly in many cases) they have real ones, when so often reality is they are nowhere near that. Yet they are still growing in numbers after over 30 years - fakes are here to stay. And whereas it was originally only Cobras, rare 300s will be 'faked' more and more, if collector car history to date is any guide?

And where it gets harder re genuine cars, is when the people who owned or knew real cars back when they were new, die?!
Then how does one prove/disprove a piece of paper with say a few words on it is true/lies - eg who can if asked then to prove/know those handwritten words are indeed those of the original owner?! Especially if so called '50 years later' experts say what is written does not seem usual, not standard type things?! And therefore it is now wrong, end of discusion!! ?

All this is why re our rarer Chrysler 300s must see as much as possible that is known as correct and accurate is established, idependently recorded, saved, before those 'who were there' are gone - because after that, it is one potential huge can of worms/arguments.
Very few 300 owners may care re history, but hopefully enough few do to save what 'the true 300 story was', so it can withstand fakers and 'the book experts' who claim to know all, which sadly too often as more years pass, is instead just bunk. And the fakers say thank you very much for not knowing fact from fiction.

sorry to take up space here,
Christopher Australia - summer daily 115+ degree heatwave here still going in Adelaide where I am, but today cooler where the terrible Victorian bushfires are

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to:
    (Yahoo! ID required)