  From: Rich Barber
  To: dvd_dumais@xxxxxxxxx ; 'chrysler 300'
  Sent: Thursday, July 17, 2008 9:45 PM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 rear main seal

  To those in the know:

  Is this same system employed on the 331 hemi in our 1955 C-300? The rear
  main is leaking and I'd like to seal it. I see the service manual just
  shows dropping the pan and rear main bearing cap and replacing the lower
  half of the seal with a special tool with the same OD as the shaft OD. The
  manual says don't worry about the upper half as it seldom gives problems.
  80K miles on the car.

  Any special materials, sealers or mechanic's tricks to recommend here?
  Source for the asbestos or whatever rope seal and pan gasket?

  C-300'ly,
  Rich Barber
  Brentwood, CA
  1955 C-300 (irritating and messy drips from tranny shifter arm and rear
  main)