  From: christopher beilby
  To: lettercars@xxxxxxx ; guyztoys@xxxxxxx
  Cc: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  Sent: Saturday, February 09, 2008 4:40 PM
  Subject: [Chrysler300] 1957 start of production

  Thank you to all those who replied re this topic, which really sort of started because George and Nancy Terry (from Texas USA) are visiting downunder, and in talking about their 300 (now that would be an uncommon thing - talking about 300s?!!) , questions arised/arose.

  Like my supercharged 300C, their 300C was a very early build - mine built Dec 28 (which in Australia usually would/could never happen due to xmas holiday shutdown at big car plants), and Nancy then saying hers was built Dec 26 (called Boxing Day here, and always a holiday) and how it went to Texas new, but was not seemingly solfd for some time, but likely ended up raced later by whomever bought it. It went new not to some big/major Texas City, so the next question arose, why did a fairly rare and sought after early production red 300C convert go to this smaller Texas town if it was then still unsold?!? (maybe was this Dealer a real good pal/seller of someone in Chrysler ???!)

  Anyhow thanks again to those that replied, and especially the info that 300C number 1 is likely the 'famous' Chrysler Daytona Beach advert car - what a great thing that this car is identifiable, and still survives - what a piece of 300 history/significance. And from afar downunder, thank you to those who pointed out in the US, that your usual Sept/Oct new Model release is before the annual snow and cold sets in across much of the US, and how the early 300 later Annual Releases could often be in the midst of worst weather for such a thing - here in Australia around December, that is our hottest weather, our Christmas holidays often spent at the beach, or by some river camping, fishing or waterskiing, or just relaxing 'downing a few tinnies' - aussie for cans of beer, which like the cars are not as big nowadays as they used to be.

  Christopher

  To: Guyztoys@xxxxxxxxx: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: lettercars@xxxxxxxxxxx: Sat, 9 Feb 2008 16:47:08 -0500Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] 1957 and/or other 300 start of productions?

  Thanks for the correction, Guy. You are correct---the it should of course be September 1956. --GilIn a message dated 2/9/2008 2:30:20 PM Eastern Standard Time, Guyztoys writes:Should that read 300C 1001 was built in September 1956, not September 1957.Guy MoriceIn a message dated 02/09/08 07:05:49 Central Standard Time, lettercars writes:Chris and All:The information on 300C monthly production is found in Wayne Graefen's 300C Restorer's Guide, a copy of which every 300C owner should have. At any rate, for the non-C owners in the audience, Chrysler records state the first 300C, 3N57 1001, was built in September, 1957. (For whatever reason, the actual microfilm of that car says 11-20! Go figure.) The next two were built in October, and no more until December, when 1004 thru 1055 were built. 1002 and 1003 were used during that time for various proving ground tests, including that maximum record speed run. 1001 seems to have been the publicity car with the now familiar Daytona Beach scenes. 300 production no doubt lagged because the last thing the plants would need during that very complex launch was more complexity! The other Chrysler models did have a faster start, but were still not up to 5 figure monthly production until January for the Windsor and March for the other two. It could be stated that "regular/continuousMarch fproduction did get going in December, I guess. Having gone through a few Jefferson launches myself, I can appreciate the problems.I do happen to have the 300B info as well. Only 11 300Bs were built before January of 1956. It appears only one of those before December. I don't think the 300s were a top priority (rightly so) for early production--think the 30those early years. That seems to have changed some by 1958.Anyway, I hope this is more informative than confusing---Anyway, I hope this 300ly, Gil CunninghamIn a message dated 2/8/2008 6:58:37 AM Eastern Standard Time, _thelastbestgenius@thelastbest_ (mailto:thela! stbestge nius@xxxxxxxxxxx) writes:Earlier posted a query re when 1957 300C production started - have since found it seems first numbered cars were around 3rd week of Nov 1956.However this then poses the question of how they were then only up around cars numbered mid 30s by late December - like it seems improbable that they only built around one 300 a day over then near 30 days between late Nov to late December!? Is it more likely they ran an initial/near pilot batch from Nov 20 to whenever, then maybe started actual (eventually) regular/continuous 300 production some time in December ?!Anyone know anything, or even what happened with later 300 model production start ups? Or maybe how say 1st 300, or 300B production started? And/or when around what dates Dealers had first cars for public/buyers to see/drive?Christopher in Australiaps Mitsubishi Japan announced this week that the former Chrysler Plant in Australia they purchased around 20 years ago after Chrysler exited Australia will cease production in March - near 1000 employees lose their jobs - all product will now be sourced from overseas, and production moved to China or other low cost factories. Gas prices are savaging 6 cylinder family cars sales, only Toyota booming/immune. Production of Dodge 4s began here in early 20s - Valiants, later aussie designed, the biggest sellers from 60s into early 80s.************************<WBR>**Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on (_http://music.http://music.<WBhttp://muhttp://mushttp://muhttp://music.<WBhttp://_ (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp003000000025) 48)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]____________________________________Who'! s n ever won? _Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music._ (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp00300000002548) **************Biggest Grammy Award surprises of all time on AOL Music. (http://music.aol.com/grammys/pictures/never-won-a-grammy?NCID=aolcmp00300000002548)[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

  What are you waiting for? Join Lavalife FREE
  http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Flavalife9%2Eninemsn%2Ecom%2Eau%2Fclickthru%2Fclickthru%2Eact%3Fid%3Dninemsn%26context%3Dan99%26locale%3Den%5FAU%26a%3D30288&_t=764581033&_r=email_taglines_Join_free_OCT07&_m=EXT

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: