[Chrysler300] Factory/Dealer fitted Electric fuel pump on 300C

[Chrysler300] Factory/Dealer fitted Electric fuel pump on 300C

Can't remember who opened the 'electric fuel pumps on 300s' can of worms, but reading this talk about them running with original mechanical pump, suddenly (??!!) made me realise my supercharged 300C was fitted new with electric pumps, Presently I do not yet know who did what of the supercharger fitment - the handwritten history of car by original owner says Chrysler started, but Dealer and them had to finish - my guess this pretty obvious/likely, as it only about 4 weeks from when car built to 57 Daytona? I hope this coming year to do a US trip to Fond Du Lac where car lived, and Minnesota where the participating Dealer lived then - maybe someone there can shed more light.

Anyhow the car has it's orig mechanical pump, with the usual supercharger mod of an air pressure feed into it from blower to boost pressure as blower pressure rises.  It then also has twin early 50s electric aircraft fuel pumps mounted where the battery on a 300C usually is - battery in trunk, with a fabric covered steel armoured heavy twin cable that looks like it came from the Edison Brothers.  On the steering column is mounted an alloy facia with two pressure gauges and toggle switch for pumps.  In the had written notes including what jet sizes to run, is I think that electric pumps should be turned on before/as blower gets into high boost/drive.

The pumps make a clear ticking noise, that slows/changes when fuel is up, plus one of two cluster pressure gauiges shows fuel pressure go from zero to right round dial - then you know to flick toggle off, and crank.

So on this perhaps only 'electric pumps from new' 300C, you have a pressure gauge to remind you to turn off pump, unless you are intending some full power fast accelerating.

On any motor where the carbs sit above the heads, intake runs down into head - definitely rig up a switch that say requires ignition 'make and break', or otherwise it then auto turns off after some seconds. Any 300 - up to end of ram models - should I think have an auto cutoff switch in case you leave ignition on without motor running - fuel/gas could hydraulic a bore/cylinder/motor pretty quick if carby needle and seat weak/faulty?

This 'switch' was not too common back in early 70s - my Lambo with 6 dual Webbers is a mongrel if not been started for ages long enough for carbs to be totally dry - if float in one then sticks - the pumps are so good they could fill a cylinder solid with fuel real quick.  But then maybe worse, but touch wood OK so far - early XKE Jags have an electric pump submerged inside the tank!!!?.  Mine still has it's original one - I did not feel too comfortable putting it back in there when I restoed car 10 years ago.

Christopher in Australia - too hot to copy/scan Daytona article yet (117 degrees today, tomorrow supposed to be 4 degrees more - cool change in maybe about a week !!), but photo I mentioned earlier shows 3 white 300Cs at head of beach queue - the two Dealer ones I mentioned, plus third one is unsignwritten - maybe hurried substitute Factory Entry that was supposedly the one grabbed out of car park after they blew the special preped one?  All three cars are sitting way high at front, which for ages I wondered why with torsion bars didn't they drop fronts - but article mentions how dangerous/bad beach was in '57, with bad/dip bend in middle of Flying Mile timed distance - a '57 Tbird dug in and flipped/rolled, at around 130 mph,  so likely Chrysler guys cranked their front bars up to avoid this ??!!  (No convertible 300Cs shown or mentioned, though I am pretty sure convertible circuit race would have allowed for them, but once again who has any knowledge/record - member Nancy Terry has an early 300C that had what seems likely was a large race tank - yet who knows where/if her car raced ??!)

Pity no one seems to have any record detail of 300s running at events like this - maybe somebody will find someone of any left before all dead ?!
Article mentions the beach only came good after 3 weeks, when near all over, and Drag Racing's Wally Parks re-ran his hemi powered 57 Plymouth (now with wind offending headlights and windscreen edge etc roughly faired in/over) to near 170 mph, whilst Ford's hotted up 2 Tbirds ran near the same, bettering the big bore race sportscar Ferrari fastest time ever from year before. Wally I think went on to run the Plymouth at Bonneville, later headed up/fathered US Drag Racing - wonder where that '57 Plymouth coupe is now - Hot Rod Magazine sponsored it.  Imagine if 392 twin carb hemi Plymouth coupes had been factory built/run - Chrysler would have won some stuff with them - Wally showed em how it might have been !!?  Don't know about what brakes they might have needed though !

To: Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: waldor@xxxxxxxxxxx: Sun, 30 Dec 2007 11:05:28 -0500Subject: [Chrysler300] Cold start--Electric fuel pump

Hello Victor--- I'm a fairly new member of the 300 Chrysler Club[ bout 1 year] and enjoy reading the Listserver --I've had a bit of experience with electric fuel pumps-[ I have a 1963 Oldsmobile Jetfire[ turbocharged ]and it has had an electric pump [Added ] to it [Just in front of the fuel tank] and I turn on a toggle switch for about 10 seconds before trying to start the motor and this --Primes- - the carb and it starts quick--[ I also just bought a 1964 Chrysler ---300 K Long Ram car about 1 &1/2 yr. ago--and I'm in the middle of restoring it [ I don't think it has an electric pump on it but I will be putting one on it] I have a couple pumps that I have picked up at flea markets -hanging in the garage--that I can use] AND BOTH OF THEM --HAVE 5 PSI printed on them -- The same as the mechanical pump] BUT --soon as the engine starts --I would turn the Electric pump --OFF --[ AS the mechanical one will take over] When you turn ON the Electric pump you can HEAR it ticking [spinning] noticeably --til the system is primed --THEN turn it OFF-either -before or After you start it[ TRY BOTH] Hope this helps--[ This is my 1st message to the listserver]Walt ReineckerStratford Ontario Canada300 K --Ram[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Your Future Starts Here. Dream it? Then be it! Find it at www.seek.com.au
http://a.ninemsn.com.au/b.aspx?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fninemsn%2Eseek%2Ecom%2Eau%2F%3Ftracking%3Dsk%3Ahet%3Ask%3Anine%3A0%3Ahot%3Atext&_t=764565661&_r=OCT07_endtext_Future&_m=EXT

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings: