RE: [Chrysler300] New question on fuel tank sending units

RE: [Chrysler300] New question on fuel tank sending units

The stories of fire and explosion of volatile fuel tanks are many and true.
Fairly first-hand stories I'm knowledgeable of often include welders and
mechanics that think they know what they are doing taking a somewhat
arrogant and macho attitude that they can get by with cutting corners.
Those made wiser by personal or close experience know that it is very
difficult to absolutely assure a tank is safe to weld on, especially since
welding heat can drive flammable vapors out of surfaces, sludge and
crevices--even after a water wash.  Incidents I'm familiar with include:
Gasoline drained into sludge basin in wash rack at a filling station ignited
when flash water heater kicked on as water was used to flush the gasoline
down a drain.  Blew all windows out of a 4-bay station and burnt the wiring,
tires and paint off of the military Power Wagon wrecker.  New glass, wiring,
tires and paint--back in service--built Dodge tough.
LNG vapors oozed out of insulation inside the huge tank, welding set it off
and resulted in multiple fatalities.  Tank had been tested six ways from
Sunday before entry, but after work started.
Welding brackets on the bottom of an empty methanol tank vaporized the small
amount of remaining methanol-fumes flowed out of tank, found the welding
arc, traveled back inside the tank that had a combustible mixture in it.
Tank took off like moon rocket.  Blew all windows out of nearby building and
the welding truck.  No one hurt, but welder had a ringing in his ears for
some time.
Nearby hot rod shop owner welding on an empty gas tank that exploded and
flash burned his face and torso.  Life flighted and received excellent care
and returned to work several months later.

Not 300 stuff, but worth emphasizing to extend the lives of 300 owners and
mechanics, as well as the 300's themselves.  Please be careful and watch out
for your fellow man or woman so they don't have to relive any of these
experiences.

Wishing all a Happy 300'ly New Year
Rich barber
Brentwood, CA