[Chrysler300] 300-C versus 300-D - Compression Ratio & brake pulling re

[Chrysler300] 300-C versus 300-D - Compression Ratio & brake pulling reason

I could be wrong, but since no one else shows up as replying - earlier on when I just had one 300C, and was thinking of a motor rebuild with slight upgrades, I contacted the guy who then seemed such an expert I needed, and he said by putting '58 pistons, this upped the comp to '58 ratio, so I would assume 57 and 58 392 300 heads are the same, it the pistons that make the difference?

This guy built 392s for the US SK Boat Racing category, and is a well known in US hemi race engine builder of that period, so I assume he knew what he was taliking about - he said with '58 pistons, cam of particular grind, Weind's alloy 2 by 4 intake, better springs and Carter AFBs, you got 550bhp at 7200 rpms, and the whole combo lived great in race boats with stock rods etc - anyone over there know/remember Joe Reath, and how/where he is know?

ps 1) re 300C brakes being erratic, pulling one way for who knows why, no one else previously has not commented on that at least 300Cs seemingly had narrower width brake cups than are usually supplied today??!
When I first rebuilt my 300C brakes (back in the eartly 80s), they acted like many other early 300 owners now/still complain of - namely pulling one side or other.  The problem was the/most modern rubber wheel cylinder cups are/were too wide, so much so they come over the small fluid hole in side of wheel cylinder when braking, and the fluid pressure forces cup edge into hole and cuts part of lip off - this causing near undectable weep, that caused car to pull one way, yet if removed drum, lining seemed dry. The cut edge is so small, many might/would miss the damage.

In Australia you cannot buy these original narrow brake cups, so I ground/shortened the pushrod gizmos so the cups sat further out in cylinder, just enough so could cup could never be over the fluid hole.
Result - 20 years of amazing predictable brakes, certainly the equal of any disc round town or in 1-2 stops from around 70-80 mph, but only once the still now fitted (1960s??) front metallic linings warm with say half mile driving.  While I still have to fix the stumble/flooding from hard turns one way that is factory bug of orig twin carb settings, I am never 'going discs' on this 300C since I fixed the brake cup mysterys.

2) that yellow 300D on ebay owner does not wish to show - beware any 300C-E that seemingly has solid floors if any sign of moisture being there - enough to ruin orig carpet - at the very edge of factory floors, Chysler used a tar/bitumen sealer. The floors can look and be solid, yet if one gets a screwdiver edge, and digs/peels this sealer back, the crucial metal u/neath is often rotted, plus the rocker where this is welded to. Result - major grief/surgery/rust repairs to both floor and inner rocker, yet on a car/300 the floors looked perfect in.

If this 300D is so good, rust free, what is this, any sellers, problem with letting people look at it - that is as long as they are not '300 rust savy' !!!?? - and may say, 'hang on, this is described/listed as how?!'  May I be wrong.

Christopher in Australia - bloody hot here now, the plastic 300C steering wheel rims and armrests in my 300Cs smell pretty bad if windows left up, and not good for those clear plastic original reverse light lenses - and new years eve supposed to be around 115 degrees

To: chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: spiers@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx: Thu, 27 Dec 2007 12:54:22 -0800Subject: [Chrysler300] 300-C versus 300-D - Compression Ratio

Here's a general question a buddy asked me, and I didn't have the answer:Is the published compression ratio difference between the 300-C and the 300-D accounted for by:1) different pistons,2) different head design, or 3) no difference except on paperThanks,John SpiersLake Worth, Florida---------------------------------Be a better friend, newshound, and know-it-all with Yahoo! Mobile. Try it now.[Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

Yahoo! Groups Links

<*> Your email settings:
    Individual Email | Traditional

<*> To change settings online go to: