RE: [Chrysler300] thoughts re 300 values

RE: [Chrysler300] thoughts re 300 values

Reality re 300 and other worthy car values is those in first are 'best dressed' - this not trying to be smart/clever/whatever.

Many people might like to own/live at absolute oceanfront Malibu, or many other absolute beachfront locations around the world in the better climate places - same with many with cars/300s - hands up all those who would like another particular desirable car that is now likely beyond their/our budget !?? Re cars (and most/many other old things), if it survives to be 20-25 years old, people start to collect them?

Values then reflect the cost of collecting/buying, and likely condition - many then are likely still good/useable, but not very will be mint/show ?! However come 20-30 years on, the cost of restoring these to show or mint is likely much higher, so two things happen 1) people won't usually sell for the original low price they paid 20-40 years before, and 2) anyone who goes through the epic/financials of restoring, ain't going to give it/one away either ??!!

And the other often odd occurance - price/value now can get near to original cost re what car sold for new versus that in today's money - ie a new 300C or 300D was not a cheap car, and in today's money likely $50K was what one cost new to drive out of the showroom ??!!

I bought the 10th last AC Cobra s/hand in 1969 for the same price/value as a s/hand Jag $5,200 - people said for first 10 years I was stupid, then the next 20 I was a thief. Are those who say 300s should be only worth $10-15k now so others who want one now can get one really serious?! - are they also going to say beachfront owners at Malibu should only sell for $50K? - it is a great sentiment/thought, but that I doubt is reality?! I still like looking at busty small waisted friendly smiling 25-30 year old stunners, but I don't think I am expecting one Christmas morning.

We all must live within reality, aspire to achieveable goals -if an early 300 convertible is beyond our reach, it is our fault for not chasing one real hard 10 years ago - but there are stlll alternatives there, and rather than rattle off a list that starts all debates, I will just name one car I personally think is a dirt cheap (still) 300 substitute (except for perhaps quirky looks), and that is 69-70 Pontiac Grand Prix SJ 428 or 455 - they go one ebay for around $4-8k for drivers that would tidy up real easy/nice. OK not a 300C-G, but hey, others started collecting/saving them 25 years ago, so but for these people, where would 20 year olds today be able to even find any that survived. those 69-70GPs read real good in original roadtests, sort of like did the early 300s masgazine features.

And in mentioning seeing things on ebay, although no expert, I have bought over maybe 200 things off ebay over last couple of years, and one trick I have found worthwhile is do not bid too high, just bid often. 300 items do not come up too often, but chances are if a particular item has come up a few times and made silly money, other buyers sometimes won't even bid, assume it will go high like last time - and just sometimes you get it cheap. Plus the other gain by not running it high, is next time it is not thought of as worth some so an insane stupid price?

In finishing a rather too long piece many already know most of, the biggest single 300, or any car thought is "Stuff, or forget, what your prized 300/other car is worth - use the bloody thing as much as commonsense, good weather allows - you can't take it with you when you die", and if you have over-restored it, then tough titties, use it anyway - 300s were made to be driven as well as looked out, otherwise get out of the car hobby, and let someone else (hopefully) enjoy it.

And to all those who just see cars as a way to make big money - don't ruin our enjoyment completely please.

Christopher in Australia - 104 degrees today, thunderstorms causing possible floods predicted for tomoorrow a/noon, then mid-low 80s for xmas - all the thoughts above are all mine, so please disagree where appropriate.