New 300F Special Convertible

Don Petty had member Paul Martin as a visitor just recently.  He showed Paul the black 300F convertible that he has claiming it to be a 4speed F Special car and gave the full story to go with it.  In the few photos the car I have received it is in outstanding show car condition.

This convertible has been in the club registry for years as a STANDARD production 375 HP 300F with torqueflite.

In building the car, the torqueflite button area was NOT blanked out as all the Specials were.  The Pont-a-Mousson used is apparently from a Facel Vega which places the shifter position some 3-4 inches too far forward in the console, out of convenient reach of the driver.  A 200 Kilometer per hour (export) speedometer was installed.   Don did have a set of F Special headers (very rust scaled/pitted) that he located that he showed to me over a decade ago which I personally believe came from the Miller/test mule car which was parted out in Arizona.  I do not as yet have adequate information to comment on the intake manifolds used on this recreation/ clone/ tribute car.  Currently the car has a $2 lace-on steering wheel cover.

It is the reputation and honor of this club to debunk bogus cars.  I think this should be done at the earliest opportunity before such cars might receive national publicity through assorted media.

Don, if you are on this list server and want to challenge, explain or otherwise comment on this email it is a member forum and you are welcome to do so.

Wayne Graefen
most documented 300F Special owner