[Chrysler300] 57 Mopar and 'non mopar?' 1962 Seatbelts

[Chrysler300] 57 Mopar and 'non mopar?' 1962 Seatbelts

Warning more 'boring detail overload' ahead, may this be my last post for a
while, but if the following is any help, perhaps to Nancy Terry who a while
back raised this 'what seatbelts?' topic - who I hope is getting her/their
two 300s nearer having some real fun with them both  ?!

Today I had a look at the front seat belts that my car still has that
might/could/should be original to my Dec 28 56 build 300C that seemingly was
a special order to run at Daytona 57.
(the most unusual part of the build for then was it was a manual steer, yet
it not a manual car, but an auto, which Chrysler initially refused to build
at that time.)
Luckily it is also still fitted with most/all of everything else unusual it
had, plus what I believe are it's front seat seatbelts installed new -
lightish grey fine webbing, ending with a sewn in round bar that holds two
pieces of twined galv wire that then goes to be clamped via an alloy bar
piece through the floor into the front edge/lip of the (standard 300C)
underfloor bracket that runs across the whole width of floor.

Apologies the digital camera I use has been lent out, but in meantime before
knowing you might be talking of this topic before I had shots, today I did
note the steelwork parts of them are stamped/cast  "Brown  ...... ", have an
unchromed cast alloy lift clasp, and secure together by means of a chromed
plated tongue that is cut out like a bloated pear in the centre.  On the
u/side of the lift flap I noted that "Pat(ent) Pending", and address was
California, or Beverly Hills. Stiched to both webbings is a rectangular
white with largish somewhat crude black Mopar label/insignia, with some
other detail on it, but I did particulary note 'no date'.

I have also scavenged from another early US car a 2nd set of near identical
Brown belts, only now the same cast clasp is chromed, and they now use more
traditional method of bolts into floor (I would guess using factory mounts),
and are black, and dated Sept 1962, or/and Oct 1962.  On the back of the
clasp there is now a Patent number, and I saw address given is now Michigan.
This time there is no Mopar or other label sewn into webbing.

So it seems if Chrysler still wanted to use "Brown" manufactured belts in
1962, they were little different to 1957, with the exception of chromed
buckle topplates, and now went all the way as webbing, to where bolted to
floor direct with a sewn in more usual today type plate, with large (bolt)
hole through it.

On the '57 ones, the clamping through/into the floor uses a seemingly real
fine threaded chromelike 'u clamp' means, and on seeing how they wanted to
pickup the front lip of the u/floor bracket, as a means of the belts not
pulling up out of floor in an accident, this was obviously deliberate, as if
they had used a thicker means it would have been larger than the narrow
front edge of u/floor bracket?

I do not know how common these wire cable mount belts were (Wayne/others any
idea?), they are a bloody nuisance re rear seat users, and I doubt safety
people would approve them in cars used for family/other normal everyday
uses, as your feet are obstructed/tangled/blocked by wire cabling of them
them where it is pulled into floor/carpet, plus the stray excess length of
the cable's two ends just flop around?

Christopher in Oz where today I found out working on finishing my dad's
100/6 Austin Healey it uses two piston front brakes, just as do/did 300Cs
have two cylinders - hows that for trivia !!  I last drove it in '69 before
parking it when I got the Cobra, there is some more trivia.

Yahoo! Groups Links