RE: [Chrysler300] 62 Chrysler rear

The recommendation I would make could be construed as "Heresy" on an
original, points graded Chrysler 300.  My '62 Chrysler 300 "Sport"
Convertible however is a Hot Rod and I don't ever plan on having it judged
for any sort of originality contest, due to the Short Ram setup from a 300
"K".

If you plan on making it into a Hot Rod, I would suggest going for a '65 or
later unit.  In 1965 they changed to a flange type axle and got rid of those
pesky tapered axles and the attendant drum puller nightmares (like Fern
stated).

As stated by Lee Meyer, you also get "Parking" or "Emergency" brakes built
into the rear brake drum assembly and you can abandon the internal expanding
"Parking" brake on the back of the transmission.  Of course you will have to
adapt the cabling on back to the rear axle assy.

While you're at it, (making a Hot Rod, that is) you might as well add a Gear
Vendor overdrive unit on the back of the Torque Flight and drop in a set of
4.11 or 4.56 Gears in your Sure Grip.

Make sure your differential is a "Sure Grip" or your axles might not fit the
later housing.  For a VERY comprehensive article on the MOPAR 8 3/4 rear
axle configurations, see this wonderful site:
http://www.autohobbydigest.com/8_75.html

Make your choice between originality and Hot Rod yourselves.

Big John Mc Adams
(In slightly cooler SoCal)