[Chrysler300] Chrysler300's on Trailers

While most of the reasons given for using nitrogen in tires make some sense,
the thought that nitrogen does not expand with heat is wrong.  Air is about
79% nitrogen and most all gases behave the same at the pressures and
temperatures normally encountered in tires.  In order to achieve all the
benefits of a nitrogen fill, the tire would have to be filled and vented
several times to dilute the air originally in the tire as approximately 1/3
of the gas in a tire at 30 psi would be the original "fill" of atmospheric
pressure air.

My observation is that tires and rims wear out and deteriorate much more
from the outside than inside.

I'm sure all the contributors to this string hope that each of the readers
will be reminded and motivated to check their car, truck and trailer tires
for rating, pressure and condition.  We have a lot riding on those
"maypops".

With regard towing capacity, I agree with the concept of a strong prime
mover with extra capacity.  Our Durango has a rated capacity of 8400# with
AWD and handles the 6500# trailer and car nicely.  Plus it has a "hemi".

I would want a 3/4T or 1T rated truck or SUV to pull a closed trailer, but
only regular cab, short bed pickemups will fit in my garage.  It came down
to a Tahoe or a Durango and I went with the cubes, HP and rated trailer
towing capacity of the Durango.  I have been in 6, 8 and 10-wheel drifts on
icy Midwest and western interstates and feel no need to relive those
experiences.

C-300'ly,
Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 C-300 & 2005 Durango (yeah, both got hemis)