Re: [Chrysler300] August, 2006 Collectible Automobile featured 300B

Re: [Chrysler300] August, 2006 Collectible Automobile featured 300B

I first saw this car and met KC Eberhard in the mid 70's at a Chrysler 300
meet, I believe in Anaheim or somewhere in Southern Calif.  Only 2 cars of
this meet, did I remember well.  A black 55 C 300 and KC's white B.

I did not own a 300 but had begun to casually learn about them and knew that
one day I would own a B(the only 300 of interest to me at that time).

Sometime in the later 70's or early 80's I saw somewhere a 300 B advertised
for sale and with the ad there was a picture.  I had remembered the license
plate of this car and called and spoke to KC who still was the owner.

He told me that the car was as nice as it had been when I had seen it some 8
years earlier and that he wanted about 10,000 dollars(possibly a little
less) for it.  This was a lot of money then, but based on his assertion of
its condition, I flew down to have a look and possibly strike a deal and to
drive it back to Northern Calif. if we a deal was made.  I had almost 10,000
dollars in hundred dollar bills in my pocket.

He picked me up at the airport with this car.  We then went to his home and
spent the whole afternoon discussing cars in general and this car in
particular.  One thing that I quite remember well, was that there was a
Presidential candidate debate on television while I was there and we
casually watched it as we discussed cars.    So this makes me possibly
believe that it was 1979 and it would have been Carter debating Reagan, or
was it 1983 with Reagan debating Mondale.

Turns out that the car was too long to fit in his garage(he was in his 70's
by then, in somewhat frail health and he had downsized to a smaller Condo
like home) and he had stored it for quite sometime under a car cover in a a
car port.  So over the years, a light rust had attacked some of the chrome
on the bumpers and on the wire wheels.  It also did have a somewhat
incorrect interior, close but certainly no Goers.  But overall the car was
still quite nice, but was going to need some money spent.

I offered him 8,500 dollars which he turned down and I told him that I would
go home and think about it further.  He also offered a room full of trophies
that he would include with the car.

A couple of weeks later, I checked in with him by telephone.  He told me
that he had traded it to a dealer in Idaho on a brand new Chrysler K car or
some such.  As far as I could determine he got the very short end of it on
the deal.

I ended up calling the dealer in Idaho who said he planned to keep it as a
showroom car.  Nice fellow, sent me a bunch of pictures which I still
have(in fact I have a couple of pictures that I took at Anaheim(showing the
KC 3, California plate).

Some years later, I got a call from some fellow in I believe Montana who
then owned the car.  Cannot remember why he called, but until now, that was
the last I ever heard of the car.  Always was curious as to where it ended
it up as back then it was as nice a B that I had ever seen.  I believe that
KC had taken the body off the car and except for the upholstery job, it was
a very well done car.

I subsequently in 1986 purchased my B in Canada where it had sent under a
tarp outside for 10 years.  I ended up doing a frame off on it.  Looking
back, I made a huge mistake not buying KC's car for the 10 grand as it was
in a far superior starting condition then the one I ended up restoring.  A
couple of years ago, I created a rather lengthy posting to the listsrv on
finding, acquiring and restoring this car, which I still own today.

I will be looking forward to getting my issue of this magazine to see KC's
car again, to find who now owns it, and what has been done to it over the
years.

A business associate once told me(as we were discussing the many other
people in our profession----IBM Mainframes and Computer Services----that we
knew or had worked with in common),  "There are only 40 men in our field and
they just change hats".  Seems the same could be said of old 300's and their
owners.

Roger Schaaf

My wife just informed me that it was 1983 so it must have been Reagan and
Mondale debate.