[Chrysler300] 300 Hurst running poorly - 2nd Update

[Chrysler300] 300 Hurst running poorly - 2nd Update

As mentioned previously, I can't say enough about how helpful Club members are when I send an e-mail to the group concerning any problems or questions I run into regarding my 300 Hurst. It is a great resource to have available. I have the 1970 Chrysler factory repair manual that my dad purchased when he bought the car new - it is quit helpful, but the experience of you Club members, and suggestions made saved me hours of time and effort in getting the car running much better.
I was not getting the fuel pump to pump gas when I supplied fuel just ahead of the fuel pump; also no vacuum reading when I cranked the engine. The fuel pump had been replaced just a few years ago, and it was suggested I run some clean gas through the fuel pump, as the flapper valves in it may have dirt or rust in them. ( when I earlier pulled off the rubber gas line between the fuel pump and filter, a lot of rust and sediment ran out of this rubber line.) I ran some clean gas through the fuel pump and installed a new fuel filter. Once I did this and cranked the engine, I got great fuel flow to the gas line at the inlet of the carb. I cranked the engine until there was very clean gas coming out of the metal fuel line at the carb connection. I then hooked up the carb, cranked the engine and it started right up and ran quite well. I did not have to pull the fuel pump. ( Another suggestion was to check the plunger between the cam and fuel pump level, that it had not worn down, which
 would cause the fuel pump to not work - something I may still check this next spring.)  I am currently supplying gas to the engine from a small tank under the hood. In the spring I will drop the fuel tank and see what repairs it needs. Also plan to replace the metal fuel lines from the car gas tank to the engine compartment.  The car was stored for many years, so not too surprising that there is apparently rust, sediment, dirt, or whatever in the gas tank or fuel lines. Thanks again for everyones help who responded to my earlier notes. I am sure that in the spring, when I work on the fuel tank, I will have more questions, and lots of good answers from you Club members! Take care. Steve in Columbus, Ohio.