[Chrysler300] test run engine - reply

Hi Ray,

There really isn't much to running an engine before installing in the car.
I always do this, so as not to have to deal with problems, oil leaks, or
whatever, once the engine is installed in a freshly painted and detailed
car.

1/ I use a spare subframe and radiator support, I kept just for that
purpose.  However that is not necessary, but some ingenuity will be
necessary.
2/ Connect engine to transmission completely.  Install starter, starter
cable, negative cable.
3/ Install intake, exhaust, distributor and carb and all other
paraphernalia. I also suggest installing a manual oil pressure gauge.
Connect all belts, etc.
4/  Install a radiator, connect upper and lower hoses, and run a bypass
heater hose between the two nipples on w.p. housing
5/ Fill all fluids and check.
6/ Run a hose from inlet of fuel pump to a gas can.  Make sure gas can is
away from exhaust manifold.
7/ Run a wire from (+) of battery to (+) of coil.
8/ prime carb (if empty) with a squirt bottle of gas.  Keep said bottle
safely away from engine when running or starting it !

Assuming all is set correctly, and that you have hopefully pre-lubed the
engine if it's a fresh rebuild, just touch the small terminal on the starter
to the larger one, the engine should crank, start and run.  I allow mine to
run for a good 1/2 hour at least.  That will allow any problems to show,
such as oil leaks, etc.  which will be a lot easier to fix now than when
engine in car !   If you have an IR thermometer, use that to monitor engine
temp.  If not, install an aftermarket capillary-tube type gauge to monitor
temp.  while you are running the engine.  You can also check trans operation
at the same time, and also check that for leaks.

Good luck and have fun

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY

'Thanks & Giving.'