RE: [Chrysler300] 300F Oil Leak

Depends on the source and nature of the leak but there are a few quick fixes
that may at least slow the leak. If you have an old neoprene(black rubber
gasket) that has hardened from heat it may have split in which case the only
option other than removal and replacement is to clean the area really well
and use a gasket maker silicone to cover the area. I would use ether,
acetone, or alchohol to get it really clean first.

If you have cork, the cork is likely saturated and is seeping. Most cases of
excessive leaks are due to distortion of the mating surface caused by
overtightening the bolts.This is often the case with trans pans and oil pans
as well. If you can remove the bolt nearest the leak and get at it you may
be able to restore the flange to reduce the gap. Personally, I'd remove them
completely and do it right or just live with the leak.

When the covers are off the car, I set the flange on a block of wood and use
a 2 x 4 on edge to hammer the surface true. I place a small bead of silicone
on the flange before installing the gasket and attach the cover with even
pressure but only hand tight until the silicone has set. Then I tighten the
bolts to specs. Take care not to overtighten the hold down bolts when
reinstalling or you'll be taking it apart again!

I'm sure others will have their own advice but that's my two cents. Hope it
helps.

Ryan Hill

Give the gift of life to a sick child.