[Chrysler300] 1955 C-300 Grille Finish

Gary and all:

The inner portions of the grilles on my C-300 are kind of ratty, having
had the chrome covered with some flat silver coating that has partially
vanished.  Now I'm curious as to what the original coating
was--silver/aluminum paint or some more exotic kind of coating--and how
best to restore it.

Thanks in advance.

Rich Barber
Brentwood, CA
1955 CCC

Gary Nelson wrote:

>Rob and all
>
>The aluminum door panel fillers you refer to were not chromed. I have two
>sets, one removed and no signs of chrome. I am reasonably certain they were
>"Bright Dipped" ,(BD).
>To understand BD look at an aluminum shower frame work to see that it is
>shiny, but not mirror finish like chrome.
>I learned the alum. portion of the grill, (egg crate) was also BD. I saw a
>section of NOS grill to see it was BD. BD does not hold up well to exterior
>environment and fades away to dull, dirty, pitted surface. Some think these
>parts are clear anodized.
>BD is a single step inexpensive process that has a nice appearance on new
>mill finish aluminum. On the other hand chrome requires polishing the base
>metal then a 2 or 3 step process with polishing at ea. step to make chrome
>a mirror finish.
>I said BD is inexpensive. A shop quoted me $75 to BD 3 grills while I wait.
>Never did it yet.
>Bear in mind they do not do the tedious metal prep for that cost.
>
>Hope that helps.
>
>Gary

Meet the McDonald¿s® Lincoln Fry  get free digital souvenirs,
Web-only video and bid on the Lincoln Fry prop charity auction.
http://us.click.yahoo.com/9hSKEA/fV0JAA/Y3ZIAA/8LmulB/TM