Re: [Chrysler300] Chrysler 300 Meets

Hi "other" Bob,

I don't know if you have attended any 300 International meets or not. Regular 300's are welcome, but looked upon like blacks in Mississippi during the '60's. The "sport" 300's are not judged, cannot be entered in any shows and the owner is not eligible for any awards - even trivial ones like long distance or hard luck. The 300 International club is a "Letter Car" club, period. On 300's built before 1962 that's a clear cut designation. In '62 the distinction between a "letter car" and "sport" 300 became a little murky. Sport 300's were available with full "H" performance options, just not the quad bucket seat interior. In '63 the interior option changed. My "sport" 300 convertible has the same claret leather interior (sans tach & 150 MPH speedo) as a "J" and the same 413 HP engine as a base "K" or "L". That makes it a 'kissin" cousin to a letter car, but not a letter car. As long as members understand the distinction up front and don't take offense when their "almost"
letter car isn't recognized as a letter car, there should be no problems or complaints.

In my opinion, the other (AKA West coast) club misses the point regarding 300's. There should be a 300 club that recognizes sport and letter car 300's. Disclaimer- Because I feel that way, doesn't mean I want the "International" (AKA East coast) club to change in any way. The "Westy" guys also welcome Dodge Chargers for instance as well as other Mopars. As much as I love Dodge Chargers they have no relevance to 300's. How do you expect members who can judge a letter car, judge a Charger? To maintain a degree of excellence in restoring and judging letter cars, the scope necessarily has to be narrow. As has been the long standing policy of the "Easty"club. As much as I can argue that my '63 "sport" is every bit as competent a vehicle as some letter cars, it doesn't make it one.

Again, in my opinion, the "Westy" guys have had their problems because of trying to imbrace too many facets of Mopardom. I think they could be a great club if they only focused on 300's, letter and "sport". One small example of my point. A few years back, I ordered a set of '62 300 "H" factory photos from their club store. When I got the photo's I was shocked. Both pictures were of 300 sports and not letter cars. The hardtop was clearly a sport and the convertible was a sport with H performance option(not the H interior). Last I noticed, no one had caught the error. This would never happen with the "Easty" guys.

Enough on this soapbox.

300ly

Russ Vaughan

Robert Merritt <okbobwynmer@xxxx> wrote:

Robert Merritt <okbobwynmer@xxxx> wrote:I'm confused.
I like 300s with or without letters and live in north central Oklahoma. Please tell me where the dividing line between the "East coast club" and the "West coast club" is so I can be sure I'm in the "right" club.
Bob Merritt, No, not that one. I live in Enid, Oklahoma , so if this offends anyone, don't blame him.
Personally, I would hate to live near Lake Tahoe and have a show-worthy 300 and know that I wasn't welcome because I was in the "wrong" club

Owen & Jo Grigg <ram300@xxxx> wrote:
Hi Ray & all,
I am very interested in attending the 2005 Lake Tahoe meet. The big draw
card for me of a combined meet, travelling fom NZ, would be to see/meet/cram
in as many neat cars/people as possible in a short period of time.
Now from my selfish point of view I'd like to see the lot! Of course I don't
have the huge job that Ray has to organize/host it. What I don't understand
is the "never combine with the other 300 Club" bit. Maybe I'm out of line
here, I don't know the goings on of the "other club" but wouldn't it be
great to see a totally HUGE meet. Or am I just asking for the impossible to
happen.
Just my 2c worth
Owen
Auckland