Re: [Chrysler300] assembly line photo

Hi All:
This assembly line picture is even more interesting because it is a
pre-production car. The Clairpointe Plant was a "minature" pre-production plant
located just behind the Jefferson Plant, and was used for the purpose of checking
out the next year's cars, assembly procedures, tooling, and facilities prior to
regular production. There would have been alot to do in mid 1959, as the cars
were switching over to the all new unit bodies. The large fixtures on either
side of the car in the picture are called "side gates", and hold the
quarters, sills and cowl/dash panels in position while they are spotwelded to the
floorpan assy, and the roof. When that is accomplished, they are disconnected and
return by to an earlier position in the line where they are reloaded with the
quarters, etc, and attached to another rolling platform and floorpan and the
process repeated. Very interesting to me to see a picture of production
process at Chrysler before I worked there. 300ly, Gil