Re: [Chrysler300] fan, clutch, water pump

Re: [Chrysler300] fan, clutch, water pump

At 11:43 AM 12/24/2003 -0800, ROBERT MOORE wrote:
First of all: Happy Holidays to all.

I would like to know what the difference is between fan clutches, if any and or does it make a difference? I seem to have a lot of fan noise going down the road.

There are basically two types, one type is thermostatically activated and freewheels until it is engaged in response to warmer air flowing past it (usually found on a/c cars), and the other one is centrifugally operated and freewheels at higher rpms (typically found on muscle cars).

What is the difference in water pumps? I have three different styles.

All I've seen are two types, one with a larger impeller than the other, I believe the smaller impeller was used on the a/c cars. As far as the water pump housings go, there are several variations, different locations on them for temp senders, heater connections and such, some late model B motor housings even have the lower radiator hose on the opposite side.

What is the difference between a 383 and a 413 ?

A 413 has a longer stroke (3.75" vs 3.38")and a smaller bore (4.18" vs 4.25") than a 383, the block is also a little bit taller and wider across the top. Cylinder heads, motor mounts,oil pans, water pumps and oil pumps will interchange between them. Distributors, pushrods, intake manifolds & connecting rods are different between the two motors are different because of the different block deck height.

Give me a cooling system class 101..

Thanks in advance

Bob