Re: [Chrysler300] Paint advice

Ryan, My hunch is this guy doesn't want a car in his shop that he has to push around. My expereince has been most "body" shops want running/driving cars if possible. Also gives him the option of putting it outside if he has to. A true "restoration" shop is happy to have a car that rolls around on tires or a dolly.

I would be just as concerned about the painting procedure. I don't know what brand of paint/primer you are using, but I would check the technical data sheet for the primer on your car. Primers are not topcoats and usually only last so long. After a year, I would suspect the primer needs to be sanded and recoated.

Good luck with it

Russ Vaughan

Ryan Hill <ryan_hillc300@xxxx> wrote:
Here's a question for all you guys who have paint/body experience. My '65
300 has been sitting in primer for a year now waiting for paint. The car is
little more than a rolling chasis with the freshly rebuilt engine/trans
installed and only the heater box, pedals, and steering column reinstalled
inside the car. All the alignment of hood, trunk, doors, and fenders has
been completed and the final paint has been applied to everything except the
outer body panels and behind the rear bumper/tail light area.

The painter I had chosen to do the car finally came around to look at the
car and is wanting me to reassemble the car almost completely before he
paints it! He thinks I should spot paint around the window jambs, portions
of the fenders and rear quarters that will be hidden behind the bumpers, the
top edge of the doors and quarter window area, etc, etc. then proceed to
install the glass, weather stripping, bumpers, dashboard, wiring, etc. so
the car is running prior to him painting it.

Is it just me or has this guy been around too many paint fumes? I had wanted
to leave the car as bare as possible not only to ensure nice even coverage
everywhere possible but also to limit the parts effected by overspray. If
the car had not been completely dissassembled I would not have a problem
with masking glass etc. but this seems weird reassembling it prior to paint.
The only benefit and the reason he gave for doing it this way was to limit
the chance of damaging the finish during reassembly.

My gut tells me to stick with my plan but I would welcome any insight from
any of you members that have experience in this area before I make a
decision about how I should proceed.

Thank you in advance. Ryan Hill (Vancouver, Canada)

http://join.msn.com/?page=features/photos&pgmarket=en-ca&RU=http%3a%2f%2fjoin.msn.com%2f%3fpage%3dmisc%2fspecialoffers%26pgmarket%3den-ca

Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT