RE: [Chrysler300] 300-G on E-Bay (Marketing at its Best)

RE: [Chrysler300] 300-G on E-Bay (Marketing at its Best)

I'm not positive about this, but I think there is a federal law against selling vehicles with tampered VINs. The Feds seem to look at this the same as passing around counterfit money.. I AM sure there is a law against changing them. Even if there is a disclaimer, such as the eBay seller is giving, I don't think it's legal. This guy is taking a real chance in my opinion. Anyone with the cash to buy this car at his price probably has the money to hire a good attorney.

As for buying cars on eBay, I have has two bad experiences and one good one. The total amount involved couldn't have bought an original letter car when new in '55, so no huge deal like this "G". A '74 T&C wagon was the worst, gotta be a "coast thing"! "No rust California car", that originally came from North Carolina and spent three years in CA. "needs a U-joint" on the West coast means "needs a transmission" on the East coast. " Two fair tires" on the West Coast means "serious blowout so the car goes down I-95 sideways five miles after you get in it" on the East coast. The other problems were many. They weren't mentioned and they didn't show up in pictures. MY "deal" was a '64 Newport that I bought for parts for $150. Best part it was only in Manchester, Connecticut. It was too nice for parts and not much I could use on it anyway. $200 worth of brakes and minor stuff and I've got a nice 300 (sport) powered sleeper.

I guess my point is unless you find a car for cheap and leave yourself plenty of room for unexpected expenses, I would shy away from eBay as a source of vehicles.

Russ Vaughan