300C Front Brakes

Greetings 300 Club Members:

The RIGHT FRONT brake on my 300C is not working correctly and the car pulls to the left when brakes are applied. It could be as simple as weak brake return springs. The worst case is weak return springs along with a bent brake support plate and/or bent shield cover. The springs have air spaces between the coils when off the car. That seems wrong. The wheel cylinders are clean, the pistons move freely, and they don't leak. I just had the drums turned and installed new relined brake shoes. The front brake shoe just won't adjust properly. Initially I solidly lock the brake shoe in the drum by turning the adjusting cam in the forward direction of wheel rotation. After that, the adjusting cam needs to be backed off 1/8 to 1/4 turn to remove drag from the brake drum. This is excessive compared to the left wheel that is adjusted easily by backing off on the adjusting cam a fraction of a turn after solidly locking the wheel.

NAPA does not have any return springs older than 1963. Does any one have a set of 2, 4, 6, or 8 NOS springs they could part with? Does any one have a backing plate and/or dust cover for the right front wheel they could part with? I suspect one or both may be damaged. The car can not be driven as is. I am happy to pay for the parts and postage.

Any comments or suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks much,

Mark Schueller
300C,F