From: John Hertog <crossram@xxxx>
To: Doug Warrener <dwarrener@xxxx>, Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Chrysler300] 300H Fuel problem - answer
Date: Mon, 19 May 2003 16:21:11 -0400

To all, re fuel pump problems:

It is not tremendously hard to hook up a fuel pressure gauge, temporarily,
in-line, and drive the car while observing the gauge. Loss of pressure at
higher RPM's under load will certainly pinpoint the problem to a fuel
starvation issue, and save lots of diagnostics time. Other starvation causes
can be a clogged fuel sock in the tank pickup, as well as rusty lines, or
(let's not overlook the obvious) a clogged filter ! Blowing some compressed
air back into the fuel line BEFORE the fuel pump (WITH GAS CAP OFF!!!)
should eliminate blockages and unclog the sock to some degree. Don't go
nuts with the air pressure !

While not "original", an electric fuel pump is a wonderful addition to any
car.. I have one in my 300G convert, and it makes starting the car a snap,
especially after it has been sitting for weeks or months. It probably saves
a lot of wear and tear on starter, and other components. The car does not
have a regular fuel pump; it does have an in-line fuel pressure regulator,
though !

Summit Racing's Fuel Pressure regulator, or some similar item, should be
used with any electric fuel pump. There are many different types, adjustable
from 3 psi to 12 psi. Cost is as low as $34 bucks. Check out Summit's #
SUM-G3131 at

http://store.summitracing.com/default.asp?target=search.asp&type=bysummitpar
t&searchtype=both&part=SUM-G3131

With regards to Mark's problem - when there is a will, there is a way, you
should be able to get that sucker out, even if it is somewhat mushroomed,
and even though the clearances are relatively close where the rod goes
through the block. It certainly is an indication that something is wrong in
that the rod refuses to come out !

John Hertog
Sag Harbor NY