Re:(chrysler300) 300H fuel Problem

Here is my experience with my sport 300 fuel starving. I got my car running after setting for years, I had removed the gas tank and flushed it clean, replaced the timing chain, put on an old rebuilt carb new fuel pump and hoses in fuel line and new filter. The car would start and run ( and idle) for hours. But alas I could not get more then 3-4 (some times less) blocks from home and it would quit due to lack of fuel (the clear see through fuel filter would be low) . The fuel pump was putting out 5 PSI When I would check it. After month of trying which included two more fuel pumps, another fresh rebuilt carb, another tune up, and 2 new fuel filters and the car still would crap out. The car would run out of fuel under a driving load.

Having done everything I could think of - I was about to remove the gas tank again when it accrued to me that maybe the original filter got clogged - so I again removed the sending unit from the Tank (I had bead blasted the sending unit when I had the tank out and cleaned, and the original filter was intact and clean), broke of the original filter (it was still intact, very clean, and not clogged), and low -and-behold the first 4 inches or so of the suction tube (the horizontal portion to the first bend) was 50% block with hard mud like crud. I tried all kinds of solvents to clean it out - none worked! Had to use a drill and air pressure to ream out this caked crud. Results: I could floor board it, in second, on the freeway, for a mile without a miss or loss of power.

Ken Wilson, San Jose, Calif.
62-300H