Rear Hubs Part 3, or: tale of the mating rhinos

Rear Hubs Part 3, or: tale of the mating rhinos

Hi Frank,

I read your post with interest... and a good chuckle or two. At least you
have not lost your sense of humor - yet.

Here's my take on what's going on: first, seems like somebody sometimes
had a hard time getting the hubs off, and decided to separate the drums from
the hubs, probably in an attempt to make the rear brakes easier to service.
I have seen this before. It's not a bad concept, except it doesn't help you
one single bit as far as trying to replace the rear axle seals !

OK, on to the problem, namely, the hubs won't come off the axles: First,
not knowing what your puller looks like, I have to assume it attaches to the
wheel studs still on the hub, and presses against the axle end, correct?
Hopefully you have not buggered up the threads on the axle yet, and have
reinstalled the center nut so that you can un-bugger the threads by removing
the nut later on..

I have yet to see a hub that really won't come off an axleshaft, given A/
that there is enough outward force generated by the puller and B/ that there
is enough heat applied, carefully and judiciously, to the hub. Sure, some
come off easier than other, and some fight you, but, with the puller
exerting force, and with heat expanding the metal of the hub, it's bound to
pop...

I did purchase a special puller, sold by Les Fairbanks thru the listserver,
recently - and it is a beautiful thing, but as yet untested in the
battlefield. So far I have always used the old three-arm puller; I have
always refrained from hitting it too hard, in an attempt not to damage the
threads on the axle; preferring to use an impact gun on it, and, if that did
not make the hub pop off the axle, then using heat. It does take a while
for the heat to transfer into the hub, and for the hub to pop... just keep
heating it..

My advice, based on my experience with these dang things, is to exert as
much outward force as you can using the puller, and then use the heat...
and keep using the heat - until it pops, just like a cork outta bottle of
champagne..

Can't comment re: drive the car with loosened nut method; I do feel there
are enough loose nuts behind the wheels of cars these days without adding to
the fray.

Good luck.

John