300H heads

Hi gang,
My resto was going well until Saturday when I started the engine for
the first time since its rebuild. When I put water in the radiator
before starting it, I noticed a few drops of water dripping from the
joint in the exhaust pipe. Didn't think too much of it until I fired
up the engine and a lot of water and steam came out the tailpipe.
The good news is the engine ran, the bad news is the left head is
cracked. The engine builder told the guy I bought the car from that
he magnafluxed the block and heads, apparently not.
I'm looking in Govier's Casting Numbers booklet and there are two
different casting numbers listed but they both have the same part
number. There is also a separate listing for the 300H, but the
casting number and part number is the same as the line above it.
What is the difference, if any, between the casting numbers? One
little oddity is that the casting number on the head looks like
2208324, but the number in the book is 2206324. This head is from a
62 Imperial. The book says the casting for the 300H should be
2206924.
Now I need to track down a good head to replace the broken one. I
guess the car won't be ready for the May shows.
Another thing I noticed is on the Felpro head gasket. There are two
small water return holes in the block and head that are not in the
gasket. Is this normal? should I punch holes in the gasket to allow
the water to flow?

Your help would be appreciated,
Mark Souders