Re: [Chrysler300] Lifter lash

The rocker shaft bolts should be 50 ft/pounds, 30 ft/pounds is probably close enough. What your machinist meant was that when the cylinder is at the top of the firing stroke, you should be able to compress the lifter by holding pressure on the pushrod end of the rocker until there is a specific amount of clearance between the rocker tip and the end of the valve stem. This is assuming the lifters aren't already pumped up with oil, if they are, you will have to hold pressure on them until they bleed down. The clearance needed at the rocker end is usually specified as a minimum/maximum value, typically .060" to .120"(If I remember correctly) This is the desired range of measurement to allow the hydraulic lifters to function correctly. Each cylinder should have, ideally the same measurement to have a smooth idle & quiet operation. The person who did your valve job should have set the "valve height" when he did the job, which is to grind the end of the valve stems off until they are all the same height compared to each other.

Mike