Timing Cover Seal

Believe it or not, I have put these 413's together before!

On the timing cover seal (not the flat gasket), I have 2 questions:

1.	Any good suggestions on how to install it without the secret
Mopar tool?
2.	It does go on with the open side (where you can see the spring)
facing the motor, right? In other words, with the "closed" side facing
outward?

I know I should know this, but I always forget.

Matt Allyn