Re: [Chrysler300] Followup to last message about early list

Re: [Chrysler300] Followup to last message about early list

Hi Larry,

Well, as an avid reader of Tom McCahill I caught the disease in
1961, but I couldn't talk my Dad into buying one for the family car, so I
had to wait until I had graduated from college and was making my own money
in 1967 to buy my 300G. Then when we were looking for the parts to put two
four barrels on the '60 New Yorker that we had just bought so it would be
exempt from the damn smog laws, I ask the speed shop owner if he knew of any
300G's that were for sale. He had a 300J and was trying to sell me his
because he intended to move to some place like Nebraska where they didn't
have high octane gas readily available, but I insisted that I wanted one
with the fins. So he called up a friend of his who did have a "G" for sale.
Over the phone, with me standing there beside him, he was trying to hint to
the guy that I was hot to own it and he should up the price a bit ( I was
tempted to hit him over the head with the dual quad log manifold we had just
bought from him! ), but fortunately the guy was honorable and sold it to me
for the $500 that he had originally wanted for it.

When my Dad drove the "G", he said that he wished he had listened to
me and bought one back in 1961. He said that the "G" was a car that no
matter how many cars I drove I would always remember for it's superb
handling properties. He said that he had never driven a car that handled so
well before - and he had owned two Hudsons, a '50 Commodore 6 and a for a
short time a '51 Hornet with the tripower manifold on it, because those were
the cars that were winning the races before the 300 took them away.

Kurt

Kurt Greske ( kurt_greske@xxxx )