Fan clearance

Hi All,
So I got my 62 sport completely mechanically sound. There's nothing better
than having a 300 as your daily driver. When everything works right and you
have nothing to woorry about it's so much better than a late model car.

Well, the other day, pulling out into traffic, I came to a quick jerky stop
from a slow speed. When I stopped at the next place I was going I noticed
radiator fluid running out of the car. I guess when I stopped the engine had
bounced forward and the fan clutch rubbed the radiator putting a small hole
in one of the cores.

I just had the radiator recored a couple of monthes ago, so I was a little
pissed. The clearance between my radiator and fan is 5/16". Also I have just
changed all my mounts, engine and transmission. What can be done to insure
this doesn't happen in the future.
The clutch barely touched the radiator in one spot the size of a dime,
nothing else was effected.

I'm going to pull the fan now. Luckily it's such a small hole I can solder it
in place. I don't know what I can do to prevent this, maybe it was just a
fluke.

Thanks,
Sean Duggan