tranny

The transmission on my 62 sport has a leak. The fluid comes down the side of the transmission on the drivers side. I may have over filled it once. Local mechanic told me it would cost more to take the tranny out of the car than to have the whole transmission rebuilt. Can I take this thing out myself? I built my garage with a 4' wide x 5'deep x 13' long pit for oil changes. Would this help? I doubt if this has ever been apart. Any advice would be appreciated. Cal and Sara