Elusive '55 ballast resistor

Various responses to my first round of questions about getting my '55
300 started advised me to check the ballast resistor. Hence my question
about where it is. I feel like the kid designated to hold the bag for
the "snipe" hunt, since several of you have now 'fessed up to the fact
that there is no ballast resistor on a 6-volt '55. No wonder I couldn't
find one. Do you folks do this to all the new guys? ;) No wonder I
couldn't find one in the factory wiring diagram to my '52 Saratoga, either.

Seriously, I took out the starter (what a beast!) and I figure I'm
headed to a rebuild shop to have it checked out. There is a bit of slop
in the bearing where the pinion kicks in. Any advice on how to identify
a competent shop? Don't want this thing butchered. Or is it feasible to
try to rebuild it myself? Kits available anywhere?

Thomas