Front end hell!

Still assembling my '62 300 front end. Need advice, please:

The upper & lower ball joints are all new and I have followed the manual
tightening references, though something seems funny. The torqued down
nuts are quite lower than the cotter key holes, so that when I install
the cotter keys the nut points are much lower than the key. Thus the
key does not correspond to any of the nut points. Make sense? Here's
what the manual tells me to tighten the ball joint studs to (where they
meet the spindles):

Upper 100

Lower 135

Center Link drops on top of the idler & pitman arms. Nuts are threaded
below the arms onto the center link studs. I hit the nuts with my air
gun & the studs spin in their sockets. How can I get the studs to bite
in their holes so that I can tighten them?

Thanks!

Matt Allyn