413 Timing - reply

Hi Neal and Janice and all

Of course the "other half" of the timing mark is on the outer ring of the
balancer... but there is a good chance that the balancer might have "walked"
. If it is the original balancer it would be a VERY good idea to check the
accuracy of the TDC mark on the balancer.

Bring the engine up to near TDC by observing the position of the rotor
inside distributor) in relation to where the wire for #1 cylinder is
located. Then, using a piston stop indicator , find TRUE TDC in #1
cylinder ( that's the forward cylinder in the driver's side of the engine)
. IF you do not have a piston stop indicator, buy one, rent
one, or make one from a hollowed-out spark plug and a bolt threaded into it.

Once #1 cylinder is at true TDC , you can verify the accuracy ( and
position) of the timing mark on the outer ring of the balancer. If it is
accurate, proceed with timing as per spec. If it is inaccurate, you may
temporarily re-scribe the balancer at true TDC, but a balancer rebuild would
be in order.

Out of about 6 used balancers I checked recently ( with an engine on a stand
at true TDC, only two had the timing mark located correctly, the others had
"walked), some by 5 degrees, some by ten degrees, some by a lot more

360 degrees'ly

John