Re: [Chrysler300] Mopar vs Bowtie.....Group Effort

If you remember, the 2-3 upshift on a cast iron TorqueFlite is automatic and can't be controlled with the push buttons. So there isn't much to be gained with manual shifting. If the car still has the correct trans, the 1-2 upshift will be about 47-4900 rpm, just right for this torque motor. This is a low rpm motor especially through the stock exhaust manifolds and mufflers. I street raced one of these ram cars back in the early 60's and there is nothing to be gained by shifting 1-2 above 5000 rpm, the stock trans is pretty close. If you spin the tires badly enough to cause an early upshift, your dead anyway.
If you still have the stock torque convertor, you'll find that the convertor has a "sweeet spot" at aroung 1200-1500 rpm on the launch. Hold the car on the starting line with the brakes and preload the convertor a little bit. If you mash it from a dead idle the convertor delivers a big wallop to the rear tires and they may break loose and spin. If you come up on the convertor too far, you will be past the torque multiplication range and the car will leave sluggishly. You can find the right rpm on the street. Find a secluded stretch of ribbed concrete road and practice a few blasts. When you find the right rpm on the convertor, the car will leap forward with just a hint of tire spin. Good luck.

From: News4ge@xxxx
To: longrammopar@xxxx, RedwoodLse@xxxx, chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Chrysler300] Mopar vs Bowtie.....Group Effort
Date: Wed, 5 Jun 2002 17:18:14 EDT

I think if you put it in Drive and leave the line from idle speed, you're
being a good daddy and letting your kid win. Remember, you're representing
us! Sometimes a little smoke is ok - better than bogging down. I would
suggest a few practice launches with the "1" button pushed, one foot on the
brake and one foot revving it up as much as you can without breaking loose
(trial and error). You could lose traction anyway, but if you're in Drive,
you may get an upshift when you let up on it, and the race is over. If you
start in Low you can control the shifting.

Best of luck! Don't embarrass him too much.

George Clineman