From: Jim McMullan
To: Mark Schueller
Sent: Sunday, April 28, 2002 5:42 PM
Subject: RE: My 300F

Mark some thoughts.When I was in the Air Force working as a recip engine mechanic we used a devise called a time-right. It had a lever that went through one of the spark plug holes and was bent to hang over the piston.It had a fulcrum point at the plug boss and the lever on the outside next to a scale (protractor).Whit this devise we could always find T.D.C.of the compression stroke.It would be pretty simple to make one.Also I have a old Hemmy manual that suggests that you ground every other spark plug in the firing order.Disconect the vacuum line and plug,start the engine and let it warm up,advance the timing (at idle or as close as you can get) until the engine quits.Mark the distributor base at the block.Do the same thing Retarding the timing an mark it.Set the dist. 1/2 way between the 2 marks and lock it down.You will have timed to best performance for the fuel you are using and your altitude.Please forward this message to the list server as I cant get through to it. Jim McMullan