Ball and Trunion (B&T) conversion

Many thanks to John Hertog for posting Sean's pics. As they say, a picture's
worth a thousand words.
My only question and comments are why did they have to use what appears to
be such a long male end to the driveshaft to fit into the long female portion
of the universal joint yoke end.
How long is the splinned portion of the shaft? Is there a certain lenght of
spline that's needed to handle torque? If it is not almost the entire length
of shaft, why don't they make the female yoke shorter?? (Hard to see where
the splines end on the pics). The inside of the old trunion has only about an
inch and a half of travel fore and aft.
I only ask this because instead of having the weight of the shaft supported
about 2 inches away from the tranny hook up, we now have what looks to be
about 6 to 8 inches (or more) distance from the tranny rear as the major
support area.
Could this be a source of a wear or failure problem with the long (and
heavy) shafts that are used on our full sized cars? (Many Imperials had two
shafts with center support.)

I'm interested in this as I had considered changing to this set-up also
before someone I spoke with brought up the concerns of support of the long
shaft extending further away from the tranny and if there is a balance
problem, this may enhance imbalance.
Are we still learning with this set-up?
Anyone have any long term experience with this set-up in both vibration and
wear & tear?
John Cote (too many B's & T's)

P.S. What do you say we get Don Cole and his "K" try it out at the
dragstrip (ala Spring Meet 2000 !!)