Torsion Bar Installation Revisited

I am going through a set of Chryco (Canada) technical service bulletins I
recently purchased. You will recall that many months ago we had a lengthy
discussion string regarding the proper installation of torsion bars and
considerable dialogue regarding whether an individual bar could be installed
in either direction SO LONG AS a right side bar stayed on the right side and
same for the left.

Here is the answer in print from Bulletin #289 dated April 26, 1957 for all
Chrysler Corp. vehicles:

"It is important that each spring be installed on its respective side of the
vehicle, i.e., the spring marked "L" on the left side and the spring marked
"R" on the right side.

It is "suggested" (quotes are theirs) that the end of the torsion spring
with the "L" or "R" marking be installed in the lower control arm. The
only reason for installing the spring in this manner is to place the part
number at the rear, making it possible to identify the spring without
removing it from the car.

The torsion spring can be installed with either end toward the front because
reversing the spring does not make any physical difference."

Wayne