Abestos

The "dust mask" respirators that are sold in many
auto, hardware, or home improvement stores will not
work for asbestos. These dust masks are designed for
nusance dust such as sweeping a floor. A respirator
with a HEPA (high efficiency particulate arresting)
filter is needed. Same for a vacuum as asbestos
fibers will pass through a standard vacuum cleaner
bag.
Note that an asbestos fiber is much smaller than a
human hair and will pass right through a "dust mask"
style respirator.

I have done many brake jobs since a teenager and used
air guns to clean the dust off shoes, drums, backing
plates, etc without the knowledge that asbestos could
be harmful. Of course the same goes for lead, carbon
tetrachloride, solvents, leaded gas and other nasties
we all have used in our time.

I'll make it a couple of more years!! We all just
need to use common sense.

Thanks
Dave Moore

--- "D'Aloise, Lawrence Jr." <ldaloise@xxxx>