Some additional thoughts

Good post.

You did not mention it but GM, for one, has put out vehicles in recent years
with different friction materials on inside and outside brake pads. Some
cars were initially retrofitted to cure a problem and some are still that
way from the factory. Retrofitting on my own I have not tried but most OE
cures are muchly researched and tested prior to release (I hope).

A Torqueflite with a bang shift is just as bad as a slide bump shifter, IMO.
I use Trans-Go shift kits which have worked flawlessly for me in many
applications. BTW these people firmly profess that Type F fluid should not
be used in anything; many different opinions out there.

I still have my Ammco 8000 brake shoe grinder. I quit using it except for
very special projects over ten years ago. It also has the Ammco 8925 dust
collecting system. I keep it around because some day I will need it. The
shoes we are getting today are working quite well out of the box. The dust
collection gadget does work quite well. The grinder does require very
careful attention to shoe mounting in the clamps and is very dependant on
the straightness of the shoes which is not always good. The mounting system
is one very good reason why I quit using the thing. I think shoe
remanufacturers are doing a better job than they were say 20 years ago as to
quality of arcing as OSHA does not want (or has banned?) the use of grinders
in back shops except with approved dust collection systems that are, of
course, very expensive. There is also no excess material on present day
relined shoes.

It would seem that there is some question in some learned circles as to the
health problems that can be rightfully attributed to the exposure of ones
self to brake asbestos. The thinking is that asbestos in the mine is a
serious health hazard where the asbestos in brake (and clutch) materials
with binders etc. is not near as much a hazard. Smoking and asbestos is a
real bad combination with non smokers at far less risk. IMO we need to stay
away from over exposure.

Warren Anderson
Sedona,AZ