RE: [Chrysler300] Larsson's Bumper Irons

RE: [Chrysler300] Larsson's Bumper Irons

Group,

Wayne's message brings up what is (to me anyway) the strangest aspect of
'concours' judging ... the obligation to preserve for posterity all the
things that the maker got wrong when the car was new. If the bumper irons
in 1957 were too weak to hold the bumper in position, and the engineers
recognized this and rectified it in 1958, what is the virtue of insisting on
installing the faulty irons on a concours car? One assumes that any 1957
car which got nerfed or the bumper started sagging got the heavier brackets
on the spot.

I have a video on Camaro Pace Cars in which it is pointed out that, in order
to get a really high score in a concours, you have to use the same cheap,
lousy undercarriage paint that the cost accountants at GM foisted on the
cars when new. I guess this preserves for posterity the unfortunate fact
that the accountants ruled GM, and posterity can glory in the fact that the
cheap paint still looks bad, falls off, and allows the car to rot out ...
just like the original!

Different strokes, as they say, but I have yet to understand how 'bad'
becomes 'good' when it gets old ...

Cheers,
Doug