the hammer story

I spent 38 years working as a aircraft engine mecanic.Now from the first
day mechanics are thought that you handle aircraft parts like they were the
family juels.You did not drop them ,Let them bang together,Nick,Scratch.Or in
anyway abuse them. So I was walking through the shop one night and a Forman
stopped me with a problem.Seams they had a JT8D engine(re 737 power plant) that
had sheared the long shaft at the number 4and1/2 bearing.The long shaft connects
the front compressor to the rear turbine wheals.To take it apart you have to
hold the turbine wheal with a fixture ,slide a long splined wrench down the
shaft and with the ade of a SWEENY (12 x1 gearbox)unscrew the coupling.The
engine was already on its nose in a vertical position with a work stand around
it.So with the aid of a 8lb brass hammer and a 18in drift I proceeded to smash
the turbine blades and the guide vanes out of the way.They were all junk anyway
The compressor and turbine turn at 8000 R.P.M. on this engine.I then made a
long welding rod with a 90 bend on the end .Lined up the two parts of the shaft
and working through the 3and1/2 inch I.D of the shaft put 3 one inch welds
at the break.There were about 100 people looking by this time.I took the shaft
out just as the day shift arrived .The day shift bosses said the shaft could not
have been sheared!So I took my hammer and hit it at the break.It fell in two but
the welds looked peaty good.For the next 10 years I was known as Hammer Mac
until I got a new monicer.Jim . P.S. A month latter the same thing happened and
they took high speed grinders and cut a $48000 diffuser case in too.Guess
they showed me what engineers could do.Fell free to forward if you like, maybe
someone will get a kick.

---

--- macthehammer@xxxx

--- EarthLink: It's your Internet.