Re: [Chrysler300] Subject: Shop Loft

Hi Bill and all

I did not see your first post on this issue.

In my shop we fabricate many items using angle iron. As you call out 3x3
and 4x4 I will assume you have a stock of this material.
The 4x4 angle, (a) is not a bad post, although I would use at least 3x3 sq.
post. I would not use a 3x3a for perimeter. The only load support is the 3"
vertical flange. That will require more vertical supports. 3' or 4' on
center. If you can put two 3x3a back to back and stitch weld every 12" oc,
top and bottom then you could double the span between posts as the two
flanges combined will be 1/2" thick.
Each plank will need two carriage bolts 1 1/2"  in from each side of the
plank. 3/8" min. to 1/2" bolts will suffice.
Spanning 9', your planks will flex to much. You can bolt from the bottom a
length of the 3x3a or better 4x4a with two carriage bolts through each
plank to angle. This will act as a strong back and transfer the load to
several planks as load is imposed.
Angle bracing is a must.

Good luck drilling all those holes.

All have a Great New Year,

Gary

At 01:56 AM 12/26/2004 -0500, William Huff wrote:

>Hi Group,
>
>This was previously sent out on another mail list and I got one good answer
>back, however I would like to hear any other opinions before I commit to a
>final design.  Can anyone offer any educated advice for this project?
>
> >I was just given a lot of steel angle iron. I am thinking of building a
> >9'x 25' loft in my shop to store all the good junk...I mean stuff, that
> >one needs but won't be using for a while.
> >
> >I am planning to use 4" x 4" angle irons 1/4" thick and 8' long as the
> >support columns. They will have plates welded on the bottom and be
> >bolted/anchored to the concrete floor and will be placed under the
> >perimeter angle iron. Will be either welded or bolted to the 3" x 3" x
> >1/4"angle perimeter.
> >
> >I have 3" x 3" x 1/4" angle iron that will act as the perimeter, tieing
> >everything together and also act as an end bed for 2" x 12" x 9' planking.
> >The loft will be attached to two walls, but will be basically free
> >standing and will have welded 3" angle diagonal bracing to provide
> stability.
> >
> >Have not decided on the need for any support or columns in the center, I
> >would like to maximize the space under the deck for an air
> >conditioned/dehumidified work space.
> >
> >My problem at this point is I cannot find out the safe working load for
> >the 8' Long 4" x 4" x 1/4" angle iron when used as a column. I believe the
> >buckling forces exerted on the un-boxed angle iron would be the governing
> >factor. I really don't know what the maximum load of the deck will be, but
> >I would not be surprised to find 3 or 4 tons of material up there at some
> >point.
> >
> >Is there anyone out there who can help out with these calculations for
> >total numbers and spacing of the columns?
>
>Thanks, and Happy Holidays.
>
>Bill Huff

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>For list server instructions, go to