Re: [Chrysler300] Torque Converter??

George, George

All that work on your car and you did not at least replace the trans front
and rear seals.
The front seal is your problem. It is not a static seal. For every
revolution of the crank, the torque converter, (TC) seal stub rotates in
the seal. With hundreds if not thousands of heat up and cool down the seal
gets harder as time goes by. An old seal, (for a while) will soften with
during warm up and hold back the oil.
I suspect the cold weather had allot to play in the significant leak you
experienced. Driving at 70-80 the wind chill around the stub of the TC at
the seal was likely 15-20 deg. It did not have a chance to warm up and seal
like it did in your earlier runs.
You will have to pull the trans and replace the seal. I would do both the
front and rear. Make sure you use a HIGH TEMP silicone for the front seal.
You can tell as it is orange in color. The rear is black. I have the seals
in stock if in need.

Good luck pulling the trans,

Gary

At 08:06 PM 12/05/2004 -0700, George McKovich wrote:

>Hello all....
>The weather was cool today (about 36 for a high) and crystal
>clear, so I decided to take the 57 300C out on I-84 to put
>some miles on it and she if there were any bugs I could
>shake out.... It had about 325 miles on it and I was
>cruising along about 75-80 for a while. After about 20
>minutes, I noticed some bluish smoke coming out the back. I
>slowed and pulled off at the next exit and found
>transmission fluid gushing out of the bottom of the dust
>shield on the bottom of the bellhousing. The smoke was
>coming from the fluid hitting the exhaust pipe under the
>car. I checked the fluid level with the engine running and
>it still showed full.... That puzzled me, as it has been
>showing at the full mark each time I have driven it over the
>300+ mile before today. I am finding it difficult to
>understand how I can have such a leak and still show fluid
>at the full mark. I nursed the car back home on the side
>roads at about 40mph without problems but it was still
>leaking when I got home. The oil lever when I got home was
>at the add mark.
>
>Now my question is...... what has happened?? The only parts
>not replaced or rebuilt on the entire car are the tranny and
>the torque converter.
>
>Thanks
>George

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx