[Chrysler300] Door Jamb Switch-1955 C-300

[Chrysler300] Door Jamb Switch-1955 C-300

I needed to replace both door jamb interior light switches on my 1955
C-300, so went to NAPA and found them in their catalog--NAPA/Echlin Part
Number DJ6300, reasonably priced at $4.77.  Turns out they are not the
proper switch, but probably the same switch Gary Goers shows at the top
of page 9 in his catalog for a '57-'59.  It is a much stronger and
better engineered switch, but cannot be installed as is in my 1955 door
jamb hole.

Anyone have a source for the original, wimpy door jamb switches?
Probably the same for 1955 & 1956.

I was able to make the switch work with a couple of washers.  I tapped
the back washer with 5/16" NC to match the threads on the switch body,
and cut it down into a rectangular shape so that it would slip through
the jamb hole and work as a backup plate on the back side of the door
jamb, sort of like a Molly fastener.  The front washer is slightly
larger than the jamb hole with a loose fit around the threaded switch
body.  Pull the wire out (but don't lose it as the space behind the door
jamb is inaccessible), disconnect the old switch pieces, plug the wire
into the new switch, insert the assembly and tighten.  Ignore the
sparks.  They are not a short circuit, just the current flowing through
the map and dome light filaments to ground as the wire or switch body
strikes the door jamb.  You might want to paint the exposed washer to
match the door jamb and minimize visual impact.  More demerits at show
time, but the lights work well.  As I describe the process, I'm thinking
of adding a lock washer or two between the flat washers to keep the
assembly tight.

Finding the proper switches may be the best way unless they are doomed
to early failure.  There is probably a better way than mine, but that is
what I came up with on short notice.  Patent pending, but would be glad
to license to Gary.  Engineering drawings and materials list available
for SASE to:

Rich Barber
1801 Redwine Terrace
Brentwood, CA 94513-6000