Re: [Chrysler300] things that go BOOM

The obvious start is the fuel pump. There is a direct path from a leaking
diaphram to the crankcase, along the cam lever. And the "light off" was gas
fumes in the crankcase. Pull the dipstick and see if it will burn with a
lighter. Anything else would involve being too rich, or leaking carbs
spilling down the rams, again too rich and these would be noticable in other
ways.

Let us know, Ray

> From: John Hertog <crossram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Date: Sat, 11 Sep 2004 18:02:01 -0400
> To: Chrysler 300 Club Listverver <Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> Subject: [Chrysler300] things that go BOOM
>
> To all weekend diagnosticians:
>
> so... Dave Clelland finally decides to drive his 300G rag somewhere...
> (yes, Peter Fitch, he DID drive it ! ) ...  after a 45 minute ride, he
> arrives at a car show.....  and BOOM. Big explosion under the hood.  Enough
> of a BOOM to wake up the neighborhood; enough to blow the oil cap (breather)
> right off the valve cover, and enough to blow the intake manifold pan ...
> outwards, and cause it to bulge out so far that it actually interfered with
> the throttle linkage under the rams.
>
> Yes, the car restarted and still runs OK; and, yes, Dave does smell gas in
> the oil.  Question is:  how did it get there ???  obviously, there was
> enough of a buildup of gas fumes in the cranckase to cause this explosion.
>
> anyone ever hear of something like this ?  Comments?  Please "reply to all"
> so Dave can read the posts...
>
> John

> Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
> For list server instructions, go to