Re: [Chrysler300] 727 Trans. Swap

Hi,

All 727 torqueflites are basically the same.  The only issue might be the
need to change a tail shaft due to difference in length.  HOWEVER, you
cannot mix the slant six 727s, the small block 727s (273, 318, 340, 360) or
the big block (350, 361, 383, 400, 413, 426, 440) 727s due to differences
in bell housing configuration.  They just won't bolt up.  Also, the early
big blocks used a different crank shaft than the post 1966 engines, at the
very least a different flex plate is needed. Flex plates must match the
diameter of the torque converter, there are at least two stock sizes. Also,
the pre 1967 torque converter will not interchange with the 1967 and
later.  If you keep the transmission and the torque converter and flex
plate it came with together, there should be no problem.  There are issues
of lockup converters from the later 727s as well, I don't believe they can
stand the abuse that a non-lock up converter can, although economy should
increase.

Except for engine type and tail shaft length, the transmissions are
interchangeable across the years and models so far as I know.  There may be
internal differences due to original application which may include gear
ratios, number of clutches/springs, governor settings, etc.  I don't think
I would put a 727 from a 383 two barrel B body directly into a Ram 250 and
expect to pull a heavy race trailer,  or into a race hemi car, without the
proper internal modifications.  That tranny wasn't built for that
service.  But I think most other application swaps would work
successfully.  That's my 2 cents, hope it helps.

Here's some informative sites.

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/torqueflite.html

http://www.autohobbydigest.com/a-auto.html

http://imperial.point2this.com/nybml/membercars/bradhogg/Trans-Plant/

Bill Huff

At 4/8/04 09:05 AM, moparpjf@xxxxxxx wrote:
>In a message dated 4/7/2004 7:30:58 PM Eastern Standard Time,
>agmoon@xxxxxxxxx writes:
>Anybody ever swapped a 727 Torqueflite automatic transmission between a Dodge
>truck and a Chrysler car?  Like a 1980 to 1987 or so full sized Dodge 150
>pickup truck with 360 engine to like a 1969 to 1971 383 or 440 powered 300 or
>NY'er (or other Mopar)?
>
>Please copy me in on any answers to this inquiry.
>
>Thanks,
>
>Pete Fitch

>Chrysler300@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>For list server instructions, go to
><http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm>http://www.chrysler300club.com/yahoolist/inst.htm
>

>Yahoo! Groups Sponsor
><http://rd.yahoo.com/SIG=12cqecsgn/M=291630.4786521.5933964.1261774/D=egroupweb/S=1706713852:HM/EXP=1081515985/A=2072415/R=0/SIG=11thh7ako/*http://www.netflix.com/Default?mqso=60178432&partid=4786521>
>df5b895.jpg
>
>[]

>    *
> <mailto:Chrysler300-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx?subject=Unsubscribe>Chrysler300-unsubscribe@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
>
>    *
>    * Your use of Yahoo! Groups is subject to the

Blue Book, Compare Vehicles, Buy Used