      1. U-joins, everything you've always wanted to know!
           From: "David Schwandt" <finsrus@xxxxxxxx>
      2. Re: U-joins, everything you've always wanted to know!
           From: "Richard Osborne" <richard@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      3. boots + trunion kits
           From: John Hertog <crossram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      4. replacing trunion with u-joint
           From: John Hertog <crossram@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      5. Re: replacing trunion with u-joint
           From: Chris Davis <pngkid@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      6. Re: boots + trunion kits
           From: paulholm <paulholm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
      7. Fw: Please Look at picture and forward!
           From: "Stan Baker" <sbaker@xxxxxxxxxxx>

Message: 1
   Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 07:16:26 -0600
   From: "David Schwandt" <finsrus@xxxxxxxx>
Subject: U-joins, everything you've always wanted to know!

Hi Gang,

In June of last year I was able to get the front u-joint package less
housing from Big-A/Car Quest with no problem. Part #7-4266  Mfgd by NEAPCO
in Pottstown PA. These were factory order items and they showed up a few
days later.

They were able to fax to us, at the store, drawings of 2 different kits.
The one for the large front joints like on the 57-through 64 and also the
smaller one I think (not sure) is used on the 55-56 Dodge & Plymouth
(again, not sure of Chrysler) This #7-4268. Just yesterday, I ran across a
new boot  for the smaller joint if any one can use it let me know.

John Is 100% correct about having a pro install the new parts on your
driveshaft. I learned this the hard way with our F. Some of you may recall
I have had (it seems now like forever) a Stumble/vibration type problem
with the F. I thought it was fuel, It  thought it was electrical, I was
thinking rebuild the carbs (right John?) I was thinking new plugs, points,
electronic ignition conversion, I was pulling my hair out (those of you
who know me will find that hard to believe!)  As it turned out it was the
front U-joint.

Back in '95 I was prepping the car for a 1,000 mile tour and found the
front boot was torn. I was lucky enough to have a new one on hand so
proceeded to replace it myself. Let me bear witness to the fact that
replacing the boot per the service manual instructions is MUCH, MUCH
easier said than done!!!

Sooooo.....You guessed it, I pressed out the pin, replaced the boot and
pressed the pin back in without having the correct tool (Trunnion Pin
Removing and Installing Jig Miller Tool #C-3567) Consequently....(Whoa,
try that on without spell check at 3AM!!) I wound up with an uncentered
pin and the resulting problems. This all came to a head last year when, in
desperation, I took the driveshaft out and took it to be balanced. It was
a little off, not really enough to make a big difference so thought the
guy at the shop. He taped a weight on it enough to bring it back in
balance and said to try that at slow speed to see if it made any
difference. I did, it didn't, as the weight came right off. Then we got
the bright idea to pull the shaft from the C and try it instead. Bingo!!!
no more vibration.Then I took the joint apart and found the problem. The
ends of the pin were all galled and the bearings shot. It was then that I
went in search of a new kit.

A  trucker friend of mine found a new on somewhere in OH from a buddy of
his. This one is a Precision brand name part #215R also has #1098036-A on
the same label. Made by Precision universal joint corp. Chicago, IL Also
on the box is the name Cooper/Moog Automotive. Kit has everything but the
housing.and sold for $56.38 Came from an Auto Value Parts Store. If you
run across one of these kits at a swap meet and are not sure what it fits,
the pin length should be 2.875". The hole spacing on the cover and gasket
is 3.25" measured X wise across the face center to center.   The pin
length on the shorter kit is 2.656" with the hole spacing 2-7/8".

More numbers, in case you really get lucky at the meet are as follows:

Chrysler part #1752-680  superceeded to  2298-941

NAPA #215-R

Detroit R-65-A w/o body   R-65 W/ body

Spicer  5-1404X w/body   5-1405X w/o body

Heres a phone # for a place called Automobilia that claimed to have these
then 800-997-7998

Good Luck and happy hunting!!

Dave Schwandt

Message: 2