           From: "KELLY PIERCE" <jkrestor300@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
      2. 55-c300
           From: lhh225@xxxxxxx

Message: 1
   Date: Sun, 11 Jan 2004 21:26:36 -0700
   From: "KELLY PIERCE" <jkrestor300@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: 62 300 side emblems, JATO assist on a 57 Dodge?

Greetings group!
   Thanks so much for all the response to my request for assistance on the 62 300 emblems. Got a set on the way and possibly a repro set to buy (if bro wants to spend the $'s, but I am sure he will... Gertrude is his baby and he wants to keep her shining...Original owner named her the day she bought the car and we kept it as it seems to fit her well.)
     On the other subject----- I am sure most of you have heard the stories of Chevy, Ford, Pontiac-fill in the make- owner(s) putting a JATO on their car and killing themselves in the process.... I found a very interesting article today from the May 1957 issue of Motor Trend, about Dodge Division engineers mounting a Jato(Jet Assisted Take Off) bottle on the rear of a 57 Royal Lancer 2 dr. ht.. 1000 pounds of thrust for 14 seconds....
The car hit 140+ going across California's El Mirage dry lake. It says it was done for a TV commercial to demonstrate Dodge's total contact brakes. One picture caption states-"SMOKE, dust, noise and plenty of open space for safety was the order of the day. Serious object of test was to demonstrate brakes at high speed."
  Now I don't know about any of you out there with the 57-62  brakes, but I know I wouldn't have wanted to be behind the wheel of that 57 Dodge- "plenty of open space" or not!
   Not exactly "300"related other than same style of brakes. While putting things away and organizing stuff today from our move, I found this and a article from another magazine called "post mortem recognition" of stupid people for the year.It went on about a Chevy owner who put a JATO on his Impala- and how Arizona Highway Patrol found a "smoking crater" where the Chevy and it's deceased owner lay.....
   Joe Pierce 300Kx3+M+others.......

Message: 2